Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gorilla warfare


So, some of my very first submissions featured this big Gorilla terrorizing the streets of New York. I had shown them to Scott Dunbier, working at Wildstorm at the time, and he was good enough to take them in to the offices and show them around. When Jim finally saw the pages, he apparently said, 'Well, if we ever need a gorilla artist...'.

This cover is clearly a nod to one of my favorite artists: Phil Hale. If you're not familiar with his work, I recommend checking his stuff out immediately. His influence changed the way I thought about art in every sense. He was also my gateway drug to start experimenting with paint and color.... the guy is a genius.

2 comments:

  1. Just heard you and Brian are teaming up to do Before Watchmen: Rorschach and I couldn't be happier that it is in both of your hands! Though, not a fan of the idea, I think that You two will still make an excellent story/visual world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this cover! It was my favorite of the week on my sites comic cover column here Www.adventuresinpoortaste.com

    ReplyDelete